Recipe: Homemade Pumpkin Sauce
I have been trying to perfect a homemade pumpkin sauce for years now, and I think I am close. This one happens to be vegan, gluten free, and has no added sugar.
The change in weather in Southeastern, NC has me instantly in the mood for hot coffee, fall baking, and pumpkin everything. This sauce is super easy to make, not to mention your home will smell better than any pumpkin candle money can buy.
Obviously my goal was to find something amazing to use in my coffee, but this pumpkin sauce can be used so many different ways! So far I've dipped apples and sweet potatoes in it, and I'm confident that using it as on top of pancakes or waffles would bring your autumn breakfasts to the next level. Also- yes, I did mix this pumpkin sauce with cream cheese, and no, I won't judge you if you eat it all with a spoon before it ever makes it on a bagel. So good.
For this pumpkin sauce, you'll need:
- 1/2 cup (one can) of organic pumpkin puree
- 1 cup of maple syrup
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of ground vanilla paste (or extract)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Don't be afraid to get creative! Try using a flavored maple syrup, or adding brown sugar, lemon zest, or other spices. Personally, I like to double up on the vanilla + ginger.
To make pumpkin sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil
- Let boil for about a minute, then reduce to medium heat
- Cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring often, until the sauce begins to coat your spoon (about 15 minutes)
Allow to cool, then store in a mason jar in the fridge. Your pumpkin sauce should stay good for at least a week. Simply add 3-4 tablespoons of pumpkin sauce to your coffee and stir. I always garnish with cinnamon and nutmeg!
Want to try to make a pumpkin spice latte? It helps to have a milk frother like this one that heats and froths the milk at the same time.
Disclaimer: This post has some affiliate links in it. I receive a small commission from purchases at no additional cost to the buyer. I only recommend products that I would use and that are of good quality.